Monday, August 9, 2010

Starting from Seed

So this weekend was unproductive in the gardening department, only due to the fact that my Best Friend got married and I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I did accomplish everything I needed to do for that and the wedding went off with some minor hitches but nothing that anyone would notice. Except the DJ - note to anyone reading, when booking a DJ do extensive research or get referrals. This guy was not wedding music savvy. He played songs first that should have been played later on in the evening when people were actually on the dance floor , stopped songs midway through to play a different one and completely messed up the father/daughter music. Just a bit of advice, overall though it was a great night and the Happy Couple are well enamoured with each other so I don't think they cared.

So to make up for the missing gardening this weekend I went by the Otter Co-Op Sunday evening. (For those not savvy, it stands for the Co-Operative, and it is generally situated in a rural area because they are here to keep the farm community thriving. They specialize in animal feed, but are also like a large corner store in the country - owned and operated by it's members)
There I picked up seeds to start my own herb garden. I figure that may be the safest thing to start with since herbs have a tendency to take care of themselves. And then I can have fresh seasoning in my dishes rather than the dried stuff.
The seeds I picked up consisted of Lemon Balm. Lavender, Basil, Cilantro, and Parsley. I was going to grow dill, but Grandma has an infestation of 5 foot high stocks of dill - so we are well set in that department.
I will be planting all of these in planters of some sort and grow them from seed, maybe try a few different soil compositions and leave them on different side of the house to see where they may get the best sunlight. I almost want to try this as a science project for myself as well as learning a hobby. Maybe I'll enjoy Botany so much I'll go back to school again.... You never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment